This is the day I’ve been waiting for. February is Teen Dating Violence Prevention & Awareness Month. I’m very happy to be a part of this blog tour and I hope you’ll like my interview with Angela Carling, the author of Unbreakable Love and Shackled.
1. Hello Angela! Thank you for granting me this interview. I’d like to talk first about your book, Shackled. How did this story come into being? This story was inspired by my sister’s real life experience with a controlling boyfriend. While she was six months pregnant with his child, he once beat her so badly, that he almost killed her. While the events of Shackled are a lot more fun to read about, I wanted to write something worth talking about.
2. What was the most challenging aspect of creating this character of Lucy? I had to make her innocent but believable. Like most teens, she was inexperienced in love and relationships which made her trusting and vulnerable when her would be Prince Charming came along. At some point in life I think we’ve all had a little bit of Lucy inside of usJ
3. How did you approach the research needed for this book? We’d lived through my sister’s experience but most importantly I went out and talked with High School students about their dating experiences. I go to a lot of schools and this gives me a chance to really connect with my potential readers. Of course, also looked on line for resources and stories. They were surprising easy to find.
4. What are your current/future projects? I am so super excited about my next book. I’m actually in the final editing stages before I send the manuscript out to be read by publishers. My working title is Beautiful Deception and the story is this amazing journey for a set of sisters. On Halloween night, they switch costumes and after they are in a terrible car accident, they are identified as each other and they bury Brin, but think she is her sister Jesse. Jesse, who is crazy jealous of Brin’s life then steals her dead sister’s life and of course her incredibly hot boyfriend….at that is where it gets interesting.
5. If you had to be one of your protagonists, who would it be? Oddly, Nate from first book Unbreakable Love. While he is downright hot, and does make mistakes, his heart is so pure good and loyal that I would want to take on those traits.
6. Who are your favorite writers and why?I like Susanne Collins for her tough and candid writing style but I think my favorite YA author is still Meg Cabot. Her work is fun to read and when I’m reading to relax I want fun!
7. What was the book that most influenced your life — and why? The first book that really stuck with me is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline LeEngle. She was so outside the box that she fueled my imagination in a way no other book had. The funny thing is, when she tried to get published she was told she was too different and no one would take on her work.
8. What are your 5 favorite books —and why?
1. Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot…it’s got this great protagonist that just can’t help but fall in love with and it’s witty!
2. Hunger Games by Susanne Collins…..well let’s face it, you just can’t put that book down.
3. The Hobbit…because that guy knows how to write an amazing tale.
4. The Fault is in our Stars…because it changes the way you see life forever!!
5. The Help….. because I lived in the Southern Part of the United States and saw the prejudice first hand.
9. What is the greatest challenge you have faced in your career as an author? Time management! Between raising a family, writing and marketing it is crazy busy. Since I can’t give up sleeping at night, I rely on my amazing blogger friends and readers to pass on reviews for my books and keep my fingers crossed. THANKS GUYS1
10. Describe your writing room. My favorite place to write is my cabin, but since that is two hours from my house I write in my bedroom most of the time. It is a beautiful room painted the color of the sky on bright clear day. White shears hang down over massive windows letting me look out on the full green trees we planted six years ago. Plus, that is where my two favorite kitties(see photo below) love to lay on my bed and I find their company….inspirational
11. Take us through a typical day in the life of Angela Carling. Mmmm, I’m not sure my life is that excitingJ Most days it starts out waking earlier than I want to, getting kids off to school. Then I try to get my lazy butt on a bike for some exercise. All this time, I’m probably thinking about my story or someone in the book world I need to contact. After a shower, I often get to eat lunch with my hubby as he works from home. The rest of the day I avoid as much as housework as possible by doing book related stuff including hanging out on twitter with my book friends. Before I know it, it is time to pick up my oldest teenager from school and that means drama is coming home with me. Another hour goes by and my 14-year-old son and daughter who is only ten but thinks she is at least twelve, come home. I get all the details of the day…who is friends with who and is dating who. Then it is dinnertime. I work to hard to avoid cooking by going out or asking my husband to cook on the BBQ. Then comes homework, mine and theirs. Mom, mom, mom, I hear until at last, delightful bedtime arrives for my kids. I try to spend this time with my hubby. Our favorite TV show is Once Upon A Time right now…and finally, finally, I get to sit down in a silent house and write to my heart’s content. Somewhere in there, I sneak in visiting schools and shopping for food and other things for my family. Occasionally, I get a delicious nap!
12. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? I do, Thanks for the opportunity. My readers are what keep me going. I’m a very soulful writer and when my work makes someone happy, it is just the coolest thing. For anyone who has taken a chance on my work, thanks. For anyone who has passed on my work as something worth reading….thanks a million times. Also, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com or on twitter @angelacarling .I’ve made some of my best friends that way!!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Angela Carling was raised in Palm Springs, California but now resides in Phoenix, Arizona with her husband, three kids and five felines. After years of denial, she final admitted, that she is in fact, a hopeless romantic, which allowed her to let down her hair and write her first book, Unbreakable Love. She always eats the frosting of her cake and cookies but leaves the rest, and can be caught singing in public bathrooms just for the acoustics. She graduated from Brigham Young University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. When she is not writing YA novels, she is secretly using her family as Guiney pigs to test what she learned in College.
After shy, quiet Lucy and her family move from their small hometown in Minnesota to Seattle, Washington, she is surprised when Ryan, the most popular boy at school, asks her out. Soon, she is swept up in a whirlwind romance and her naive and trusting nature allows her to fall head over heels in love with her too-good-to-be-true suitor. Suddenly, Lucy finds herself enraptured by the excitement of her new relationship, leaving her blinded to the warning signs of danger ahead. Can her fairy tale romance last, or will she find that her prince charming is more like a wolf in sheeps clothing?
PRIZES (2 WINNERS):
1 print copy of SHACKLED and 1 print copy of UNBREAKABLE LOVE
Ends 28th Feb 2013
- Leave a Blog Post Comment with your full name and the book you choose to win (you can sing up for the both books)
- follow me by email
- post this giveaway to any social media or on your blog +2
Winners will be chosen randomly via Random.org
Winners will have 5 days to respond or they automatically forfeit their prize!
Have a nice day,